Strong passwords are the key to a safe digital life. May 6th is World Password Day so CDE Lightband has some do’s and don’ts for when it comes to choosing a secure password and keeping your data safe
- Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, symbols and numbers.
- Make sure your passwords are at least 8 characters long.
- The more characters you use, the more difficult they are to guess.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- It’s recommended that you change your passwords every three months.
- Don’t use commonly used passwords such as 123456 or the word “password.”
- Don’t use a derivative of your name or family members.
- Don’t use your social security number.
- Don’t use the same password across multiple websites.
- Don’t write your passwords down or share them with anyone.
- Don’t answer “yes” when asked to save your passwords on your browser.
This may seem like a complicated process but it’s not as complicated as what will happen if a cyber criminal gains access to your passwords and steals your identity.
How hackers work?
There are several ways hackers can crack passwords outside of spyware.
- They can attempt to log on to your account by guessing your password based on personal information gained from your security questions.
- They can use a password cracker that uses brute force by using multiple combinations of characters repeatedly until it gains access.
- The shorter and less complex your password is, the quicker it can be for the program to come up with the correct combination of characters.
- They can use a dictionary attack, where the program will cycle through a predefined list of common words that are commonly used in passwords.
Check out CDE Lightband’s Plume AI Security which protects your network by preventing access to malicious websites that can harm the devices on your network.
CDE Lightband offers a 100% Fiber Optic Network that provides you with the fastest and most reliable network. Starting at 250 Mbps all the way to a full 1 Gig of internet – we have all the bandwidth you will ever need. For more information and recommendations, contact CDE Lightband’s technical support today, call or text (931) 648-8151.